Monday, May 12, 2008

Gates and boundaries...

Why do we all start out pushing limits. We see a gate we are attracted to it instantly. We want to know why there is a gate, why we can't go beyond it, or how can we get beyond it. Gates are our boundaries. We are limited. Where can we get our full access pass is what is in our minds. I was not a fan of gates with my children, really for that reason. I want my children to know their limits. And if they get into a situation that is not safe, I want them to know how to handle it. We try and train them. You may think it is a little liberal. And this may be the only liberal thinking my husband may be attached to. But really it works (for my children). We have stairs my children are drawn to them. Most people gate them. We train our children to slide down the stairs in control. We have to be there and show them over and over. But really in life there isn't going to be a gate in unsafe places. So we try to develop some kind of thinking that if they know the safe way they know why. The stove is hot, why? Well that is what we are told. Or the stove is hot, do you feel the heat? Do you see the fire? It will hurt when you touch it. They still will touch it and now they know. They may fall on the stairs but we were there. They know now that it can be dangerous to play on the stairs or they can use it to transport to our room the safe way. Why? is a common question now for our children. We often want to tell them because. But now we talk to them with as much communication as they can understand. Why do I have to hold your hand when we cross the street? Because there are cars, and they do not see you, but they will see me. Why? Well, I am bigger. Why do the cars have to see me? Well, if they don't they may hit you. You know when you fall it hurts and you want to cry? Well the same thing will happen when a car will hit you. But this time you will have to see a Dr. It may be scary, but there little minds (I think) need to know to think of consequences.
Sorry, this is heavy on my mind. Jeremy has a little brother who is 14 and saw a gang fight were a kid was seriously injured. By the description he may have had permanent brain damage or may not have survived. His brother thought how cool it was to see. He never thought that the kid was bleeding out of his ears and nose and mouth for other reasons like trauma. His reaction was, "I don't know the kid." His mom and I looked at him in awe that it did not sink in. His mom was actually very disturbed. Pray for him, and the kid who was rushed to the emergency room. So sad.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Man Aims this is a GREAT blog...unbelievable about J's brother...keep me updated on that